Rising from the gulf of the same name, this city gets its identity from the sea. It was originally a marine emporium catering to the trade of nearby Segesta, and the warning towers and defensive bulwarks of the castle are still reflected in the sea. And it is around the sea that life revolves and the summer evenings liven up. There are still some ancient sights in the surrounding areas, such as the small village of Scopello, which butts up against a rock overlooking the sea stacks and the old tuna fish factory. Castellammare also hosts the main entrance and part of the Zingaro, a Site of Special Scientific Interest, where there are not only unspoilt beaches, but also remarkable and endemic displays of flora and fauna. For those passionate about speleology, the grottos of Mount Inici must not be missed, with their very deep “ravines,” underground lakes and utterly enchanting views. The Swabians called it “Castrum ad mare de gulfo” (fortress on the gulf sea), from which the current name derives. In the early middle ages, it became a fortress with a castle built by the Arabs called Al Madarig. In 1560, a small feudal village was founded under the protection of the castle. Between the 15th and 19th century it became a strategic point for trade, thanks to the grain loaders and tuna fishing and processing.
Local government offices: 24, Corso B. Mattarella, 91014 Castellammare del Golfo (TP)
Telephone switchboard: 0924 592111
Local Police: 0924 31221