Custonaci is the city of marble and apparently the first marble mine in Sicily, and the second in Italy and Europe. The town is close to an area of great naturalistic interest, the Monte Cofano Site of Special Scientific Interest, with its rugged unspoilt bays accessible from pathways that offer panoramic views of incomparable beauty. In the evocative natural cave of the Mangiapane grotto in Scurati, the Sicilian customs and traditions of the early 20th century come back to life in the living nativity scene at Christmas, and the living museum in the summer. Not to be missed over the summer are the festivities in honour of the Madonna of Custonaci, with the landing at sea of the copy of a highly venerated painting of the Virgin, whose original from the 15th century is housed in the similarly named Sanctuary. Custonaci - or Custunaci according to the pronunciation noted in the most ancient records and still reflected in the spoken vernacular today - had always been a gathering of rural districts, merging to form a town only in the last 50 years. The urban development of the town is linked to the Sanctuary of the Madonna of Custonaci; the disputes that arose over time with Erice led to the procuring of municipal independence on the 3rd December 1948.
Local government offices: Piazza Municipio - 91015 Custonaci (TP)
Telephone switchboard: 0923 976711
Local police: 0923 971499