Erice, the town of peace and science located on the far western coast of Sicily, towers over the city of Trapani and the sea which reflects the Egadi Islands. From the other side you can enjoy Bonagia and Mount Cofano. In an exceptional geographic position 751m above sea level, the small town has kept its medieval look almost intact. Erice has very ancient origins, and seems to have been founded by the Elymians, a people that most likely came from Greece and settled in western Sicily around the 8th century B.C. The origin of the name Erice, or Iruka for the Elymians, Erech for the Cartheginians and Eryx for the Greeks and Romans, is inalienably connected to the sacred ‘thémenos,’ the open-air sanctuary dedicated to the worship of the Greek Aphrodite and the Erice-Roman Venus and a location that attracted people from all over the Mediterranean to this mountaintop. A religious centre of fundamental interest, it became the goal and target of many would-be conquerors because of its strategic importance, starting with the Carthaginians who reinforced the city walls built by the Elymians. Called Gabel-el-Hamid by the Arabs, it changed its name once more after the Norman conquest, becoming Mount St. Julian until 1936, when it took on the current name definitively.
Local government offices: 3, Piazza della Loggia, 91016 Erice
Telephone switchboard: 0923 502111
Local police: 0923 502200