Two names, one history, one place to mark the ancient Arabic town of Sala, which later became the town of Paruta when the family of that name added it to that of the primitive town in 1507. The story is a thousand years old and is connected with that of the neighbouring area. Occupied by the Sicani, Elymians, Greeks and Romans, it was nevertheless the Arabic domination that left the biggest mark through traces left in the agricultural farming methods and in the names. The Arabs tended to these fertile and well-watered lands that were perfect for planting crops and creating gardens, for building the cupola huts, watermills and groups of farmhouses known as rabateddi, to which they gave the names Belich, Salah and Taruch. Rahal al Merath was the rabateddi near the castle or a tower, and to which the Salah inhabitants moved. Slowly the other rabateddi began to move there too, giving life to a new Sala. It then became Sala of the Paruta after the purchase of the baronage by Ruggiero Paruta in 1436. After the earthquake in 1968, the old town centre was abandoned and the inhabitants moved to the Cusumano district, near the Coast of the Stones, at 170 metres above sea level. The new Salaparuta is a modern town, clean and dynamic, with large streets and squares, and new houses and public buildings.
Local government offices: Viale Regione Siciliana, 91020 Salaparuta (TP)
Telephone switchboard: 0924 71361 / 71360